Saturday, January 17, 2009

ArtCrawl Notables 2008

ArtCrawl Run Through
When I go to ArtCrawl I want to feel like I’ve wandered in to the workshop of the mad toymaker. I want to see work in progress, works to be, and piles of completed or near finished work. I want to be overwhelmed by the shear volume of your creative voice.
One of the first places I visited was Superstitious Studio hosting the work of Stacey Gillan and Tish Balli.

The great thing about ArtCrawl is that you get to walk into working studio, and presumably walking into the lives of innumerable Houston artists. And I don’t want to see a cleaned up studio where there is only a few piece on mostly blank walls. I want to see lots of works of art, cluttering the work space with brushes or whatever tools you use. I want to see stacks and piles of art, so many you don’t have room to hang them all properly. This is a good descriptions of Supersticious Studio, home of painter Tish Balli

I have taken a while to write up my notes from my trip through ArtCrawl 2008. I felt very let down by Commerce Street Arts Warehouse Studios (CSAW), or what we use to call CSAW. Back around the turn of the century it use to be a real romp through the studios of working artists, or maybe I mean working studios. CSAW use to feel like you were walking into the living room of struggling artists. There was a powerful vibrancy to CSAW that I miss. Now it looks like a bunch of empty spaces loaned out to the artists for the day. It has the dryness of a low grade art gallery. I don’t mean to disrespect the artists who showed at CSAW this year. I’ll get to them later.

Kia Gardner’s work space was one of the CSAW spaces that stood out in my memory.

Jennifer Madeley Dunn of Mother Dog Studios.

Mitch Samuels is another artist that stood out. Mitch works with a lot of bright colors and bold totemic images. His work reminded me of the kind of paintings a very sophisticated stylish caveman might have created if he’d had access to the same bright colors and canvas. Mitch’s space suffered from having been cleaned up too much, one could tell this was his working studio, but he’d done too good a job of cleaning up the messiness of art I live to see in working studios.

I know missed some names, but I have photos and if you can help me identify some of the artist mentioned above, or if I’ve miss identified anyone please contact me, and I’ll correct the blog. And fill in a caption on your work. Please don’t email any hate mail, HAVE the decency to comment here in the blog so everyone can hear your rebuttal or brutal attack.

No comments: